Friday, December 8, 2017

Long Lost Mixtape - Mini: Symphonic Inspiration



Normally, I would start with some pseudo-philosophical question or thought which would catch your attention and serve as the framework around which I would describe a song. Not today. It is Friday. A perfectly natural reason to feel good. Odds are you feeling better today than you did yesterday. I know for me, waking up this morning was a little easier.

But for the days when waking up is just the first mistake in a series of painful actions, each progressively getting worse. Well I thought I'd help you with that.

The song is 'Light and Day' by the choral rock group The Polyphonic Spree. You may recognize the song. It was featured in an episode of scrubs and in the critically praised film 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'. [A side note about the band. When I say 'choral rock' it is more like 'symphonic rock'. The band has literally dozens of members. A harp player, a brass section, a small choir and yes, I'm sure they have someone playing the triangle too. But all the chaos of such a large group meshes seamlessly into the best example I can think of organized chaos].



This song is the sunlight of a beautiful brand new day captured in a jar and compressed into 3:03 minutes of music and it is impossible to not feel the warmth and optimism that radiates from it.

Normal 'pump-up tunes', like those we use at the gym to motivate ourselves, do so externally by creating an emotion or feeling which we adjust to feel. Light and Day is different. This song inspires from the inside. It reminds us of what it feels like to be our best self and propels us to feel and be that way again.

I keep this song in my back-pocket for mornings where the the day loom over me like a statistics tests followup up by an appointment for a root-canal. Just keep those words in your head:

"Follow the day and reach for the sun"

Thanks for reading. Good luck out there


1 comment: